Saturday, July 14, 2007

Windows OS Shortcuts

When I was interning, I used to get flak all the time because I wasn't as up to speed on Windows as the rest of the crew (all of which had done IT work for years). Part of the reason they wanted me to learn all the little tricks they knew was to be able to work as quickly as possible. You also tend to wow a client when you can blaze through the Windows interface without using the mouse.

For the same reasons 3D artists learn shortcuts, it helped to learn those available for Windows.

Here are a few of my most used...
  • TAB: jump to next text field.
  • SHIFT+TAB: jump to previous text field.
  • Windows Logo: Open Start menu
  • Windows Logo+D: Minimizes all open windows and displays the desktop
  • Windows Logo+E: Windows Explorer
  • ALT+TAB: Switch to another running program (hold down the ALT key and then press the TAB key to view the task-switching window)
  • CTRL+C: Copy
  • CTRL+X: Cut
  • CTRL+V: Paste
  • CTRL+Z: Undo
  • CTRL+B: Bold
  • CTRL+U: Underline
  • CTRL+I: Italic
A more complete list...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

No comments: